Hwy 7A Sign Graphic Hwy 7A Title Graphic Hwy 7A Sign Graphic   

This page contains historical and present day photos of Ontario's King's Highway 7A, which ran from Highway 7 & Highway 12 at Manchester easterly to Peterborough. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order, while present day photographs (Year 2000 to date) are arranged by location from west to east. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Historical King's Highway 7A Photographs


HWY 115 #2

Above - Aerial view of the Hwy 7A Junction on Hwy 115 east of Cavan in 1972. This was one of several at-grade intersections along Hwy 115 that was grade-separated during the twinning of Hwy 115 in the early 1990s. In addition to being widened from two to four lanes, Hwy 115 was also converted into a fully controlled-access freeway between the Hwy 35 Interchange at Enterprise Hill and the Hwy 28 Interchange southwest of Peterborough.
Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation





HWY 115 #1

Above - Aerial view of the Hwy 28 Interchange on Hwy 115 (historically Hwy 115 & Hwy 7A) southwest of Peterborough in 1972, facing south towards Port Hope. This interesting photo shows the partially-completed interchange, as it appeared before the extension of Hwy 115 to the Peterborough Bypass in the late 1970s. When Hwy 115 was first opened to traffic in 1954, the highway terminated at a "T" Junction at Hwy 28. As traffic volumes grew over the years, the number of vehicles turning left onto Hwy 28 at the end of Hwy 115 started to cause significant congestion at this highway junction. In 1966-1967, a partial interchange was built at Hwy 115 & Hwy 28 as an interim improvement until Hwy 115 was extended easterly from Hwy 28 to the Peterborough Bypass. This interim improvement proved to be very effective, as it successfully accommodated the heavy left-turn movement from Hwy 115 via a grade separation over Hwy 28. A loop ramp carried Hwy 115 traffic north towards Peterborough uninterrupted. It wasn't until 1978 that Hwy 115 was finally extended easterly from Hwy 28 to the Peterborough Bypass. The Hwy 28 Interchange was reconfigured when this section of Hwy 115 was twinned in 1985. See an Enlarged Photo here.
Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation


Present Day King's Highway 7A Photographs


HWY 7A #1 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 7A #2 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 7A towards Yelverton from Nestleton Station. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Hwy 7A from Yelverton towards the Hwy 35 Junction. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 7A #3 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 7A #4 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 7A at the Pigeon River Bridge near Yelverton.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Southern side of the Pigeon River Bridge on Hwy 7A. Structure completed in 1950.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 7A #5 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 7A #6 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing west along Hwy 7A towards Yelverton at the Pigeon River Bridge.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Northern side of the Pigeon River Bridge on Hwy 7A near Yelverton.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 35 #76 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 35 #77 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Sign marking the turn-off to Hwy 35 North at the Hwy 7A Junction near Yelverton.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Route marker assembly at the Hwy 7A and Hwy 35 Junction near Yelverton. The two highways run concurrently from this point south for 1.5 km, before Hwy 7A turns east again towards Bethany and Peterborough.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 35 #78 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 35 #79 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Approaching the Hwy 35 Junction on Hwy 7A near Yelverton. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing north along Hwy 35 towards Lindsay from the Hwy 7A Junction.
(Photograph taken on September 30, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 115 #5 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 115 #8 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing north towards Fowlers Corners at the Hwy 28 Interchange on Hwy 7 & Hwy 115 at Springville, southwest of Peterborough. Prior to the extension of Hwy 115 from Springville to Peterborough in 1978, Hwy 115 used to end at this interchange. Until 1984, Hwy 28 used to continue straight through (north) towards Five Mile Corners, located south of Fowlers Corners. Hwy 28 was rerouted southwest of Peterborough in the 1980s and was signed concurrently with Hwy 115 between 1984 and 2003. Originally, Hwy 7 did not pass through this interchange at all. However, the Hwy 7 designation was applied to the highway through Springville in 2003, in order to close a gap left over when a section of Hwy 7 (North Monaghan Parkway and Sir Sandford Fleming Drive) was downloaded to the County of Peterborough in 1997. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Dual underpass structures carry the freeway over Hwy 28. The northbound Hwy 115 structure is much older than the southbound Hwy 115 structure, due to the fact that Hwy 115 was constructed as a staged freeway through this interchange. Hwy 115 was initially built as an undivided two-lane highway, but was later expanded to a four-lane freeway in the mid-1980s. Click here to see a Historical 1972 Photo of the partially-completed Hwy 28 Interchange on Hwy 115, showing the former northern terminus of Hwy 115. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 115 #7 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 115 #6 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Northbound Hwy 115 underpass at the Hwy 28 Interchange near Peterborough. This three-span post-tensioned concrete structure was completed in 1966. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Structure identification number and date stamp (1966) on the northbound Hwy 115 structure at the Hwy 28 Interchange. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 115 #9 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 115 #11 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Western side of the northbound Hwy 115 structure at the Hwy 28 Interchange at Springville. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Southbound Hwy 115 structure at the Hwy 28 Interchange. This three-span post-tensioned concrete structure was completed in 1985. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 115 #10 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 115 #12 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Date stamp (1985) on the southbound Hwy 115 structure at the Hwy 28 Interchange. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing north along Hwy 7 & Hwy 115 (Formerly Hwy 28 & Hwy 115) towards Peterborough from the Hwy 28 Interchange near Springville. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 23, 2007  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 7 #415 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Hwy 7 & Formerly Hwy 7A route markers near Springville. These route markers have remained on the road ever since the recent renumbering of a section of Hwy 7A as Hwy 7 through Springville in 2003. This section of highway west of Peterborough has been renumbered more times than any other route in Ontario's provincial highway history. The highway route number(s) through Springville has changed no fewer than seven times since highway numbering was first introduced in Ontario in 1925. Initially the highway was known as Hwy 12A (1925-1928), which later changed to Hwy 28 (1928-1938), which then became Hwy 28 & Hwy 7A (1938-1960), then Hwy 28 (1960-1964), then Hwy 28 & Hwy 115 (1964-1970), then Hwy 28 (1970-1984), then Hwy 7A (1984-2003), and then finally Hwy 7 (2003-Present). Anyone lost yet?
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 7 #414 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Hwy 7 (Former Hwy 7A) descends this steep grade at Springville, just west of Peterborough. The Hwy 115 Interchange lies about 3 km ahead. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on July 9, 2006  -  © Cameron Bevers)




Back to King's Highway 7 Photos     /    King's Highway 7A History    /   On to King's Highway 8 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!