Hwy 98 Sign Graphic Hwy 98 Title Graphic Hwy 98 Sign Graphic   

This page contains historical and present day photos of Ontario's King's Highway 98. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order, while present day photographs (Year 2000 to date) are arranged by location from west to east. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Historical King's Highway 98 Photographs


HWY 3B #6

Above - Facing west along Ouellette Avenue towards Downtown Windsor. Photo taken on July 10, 1951.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1952)

Note the signpost at right, which bears no fewer than four King's Highway shields. Although the route numbers are difficult to discern in this photo, the four marked routes are Hwy 2, Hwy 3B, Hwy 39 and Hwy 98. For a number of years, all four of these King's Highways were signed concurrently along Ouellette Avenue into Downtown Windsor. However, due to the construction of the E.C. Row Expressway and the decommissioning of Hwy 39 and Hwy 98, three of these highway routes were eventually removed from Ouellette Avenue. Only the Hwy 3B route designation survived until the 1990s.





HWY 401 #1451

Above - Hwy 98 (Provincial Road) Interchange under construction on Hwy 401 south of Windsor. Photo taken on July 26, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 401 #1527             HWY 401 #140

Left - Aerial view of the Hwy 98 (Provincial Road) Interchange on Hwy 401 in Windsor, facing east towards Tilbury (1958)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)

Right - Aerial view of Hwy 401 facing west from the Provincial Road (Hwy 98) Interchange in Windsor (1958)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)





HWY 98 #4

Above - Culvert construction on Hwy 98 east of Merlin (1958)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)





HWY 98 #3

Above - Paving Hwy 98 east of Tilbury (1958)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)


Present Day King's Highway 98 Photographs


HWY 98 #1 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 77 #28 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Culvert inscription on Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 2A & Hwy 98) "THE KING'S HIGHWAY 1930". See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on November 8, 2003  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing south along Hwy 77 towards Leamington from Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) in Comber. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 77 #29 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 77 #31 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Approaching the Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) Junction on Hwy 77 in Comber, facing north. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Old Hwy 98 towards Tilbury from the Hwy 77 Junction in Comber. Before the completion of Hwy 401 between Windsor and Tilbury in the 1950s, Hwy 98 served as an important east-west through route across Essex County. Traffic volumes on Hwy 98 declined once Hwy 401 opened to traffic, as most long-distance through traffic began to use the freeway instead. Provincial jurisdiction over Hwy 98 ceased in 1971, when the highway was transferred from the DHO to Essex County. Old Hwy 98 is now known as Essex Road 46. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 77 #30 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 77 #32 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Approaching the Hwy 77 Junction on Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) in Comber, facing west. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Junction sign assembly on westbound Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) at the Hwy 77 Junction in Comber. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 77 #33 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 77 #34 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing west along Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) towards Windsor from the Hwy 77 Junction in Comber. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Approaching the Hwy 77 Junction on Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) in Comber, facing east. This highway junction is quite unusual, in that the county road is actually the "through highway", while traffic on Hwy 77 has to stop and yield the right-of-way before proceeding through the intersection. Under Ontario's Highway Traffic Act (HTA), the King's Highway is always the "through highway" by default, with any exceptions to this general rule-of-the-road defined by a case-specific regulation under the HTA. This intersection is one of the rare exceptions where traffic on a municipal road has right-of-way over traffic using the King's Highway. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 77 #35 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Junction sign assembly on eastbound Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) at the Hwy 77 Junction in Comber. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 77 #36 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 77 #37 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Stop-control and flashing warning beacon on southbound Hwy 77 at Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) in Comber. This intersection right-of-way configuration is rather unusual, in that the King's Highway has to stop and yield the right-of-way to a municipal road (Essex Road 46). The reason for this configuration is based entirely on the history of this intersection. Essex Road 46 was previously a King's Highway (Hwy 98) which was established decades before Hwy 77 was designated. Since Hwy 98 was the only King's Highway approaching this intersection in the early days of the provincial highway system, traffic on Hwy 98 had the right-of-way over the intersecting municipal road heading to Leamington (Essex Road 12). Once Essex Road 12 was assumed by the province in 1963 and also designated as a King's Highway, it was decided to leave the existing stop-control in place facing traffic on the newly-assumed route of Hwy 77. It has remained so ever since. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing south along Hwy 77 towards the Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) Junction in Comber. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 77 #38 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 98 #2 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing north along Hwy 77 from the Essex Road 46 (Old Hwy 98) Junction. The route of Hwy 77 passes through Comber along the village's main street before arriving at the Hwy 401 Interchange about 1 km to the north. The province has retained ownership of Hwy 77 through the built-up area of Comber as this is an unincorporated village. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 2, 2019  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Undated culvert from the early 1940s on Old Hwy 98 west of Blenheim. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 3 #159 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 3 #149 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing west along Talbot Street (Hwy 3) from the Former Hwy 98 Junction (now Chatham-Kent Road 8) at Marlborough Street in Blenheim. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 13, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Talbot Street (Hwy 3) at Marlborough Street (Former Hwy 98) approaching towards Downtown Blenheim. At the traffic signals, Hwy 3 turns right onto Marlborough Street on its route east towards St. Thomas. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 14, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 3 #150 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 3 #151 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Approaching Talbot Street on northbound Marlborough Street in Blenheim. Although the route of Hwy 3 historically went through Downtown Blenheim on Talbot Street, through traffic in recent decades was encouraged to use the cut-off offered by Marlborough Street. The route of Hwy 3 was signed via Downtown along Talbot Street for a brief period during the 1970s, before the highway's route was relocated permanently onto Marlborough Street in 1980. Hwy 3 turns left at the traffic signals and continues west towards Wheatley. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 14, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Junction of Former Hwy 98 (now Chatham-Kent Road 8) and Hwy 3 at the intersection of Talbot Street and Marlborough Street in Blenheim. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 14, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 3 #148 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 3 #154 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing west along Marlborough Street (Former Hwy 98) towards Tilbury from Talbot Street (Hwy 3) in Blenheim. The once-important route of Hwy 98 between Windsor and Blenheim essentially became redundant once Hwy 401 was completed. The entire route of Hwy 98 was transferred from the province to Kent and Essex Counties back in 1970-1971. Up until the mass downloading of Ontario's highways in the late 1990s, Hwy 98 was the longest King's Highway to be eliminated entirely from the highway network under a municipal transfer. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 14, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Former eastern terminus of Hwy 98 at the Hwy 3 Junction in Blenheim. The route of Hwy 98 ended at this intersection from the time the eastern leg of Hwy 98 was first established in 1941 up until 1970, when the eastern leg of Hwy 98 was decommissioned. With the route of Hwy 98 completed to Blenheim, through traffic heading east from Windsor was able to bypass the Leamington section of Hwy 3. The new Hwy 98 shortened the overall highway distance between Windsor and St. Thomas by approximately 17 km. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 13, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 3 #155 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 3 #157 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Marlborough Street at Talbot Street, facing south. The route of Former Hwy 98 ended here, while Hwy 3 continued eastbound beyond the intersection towards St. Thomas. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 13, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Talbot Street at the intersection of Marlborough Street in Blenheim. Heavy trucks are prohibited from using Blenheim's main street, except for local deliveries. Trucks are directed to bypass Downtown Blenheim, by following Hwy 3 (Marlborough Street) to Hwy 40 (Chatham Street). See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 13, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 3 #156 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Facing east along Marlborough Street (Hwy 3) from Talbot Street in Blenheim. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 13, 2010  -  © Cameron Bevers)




More King's Highway 98 Photographs Coming Soon!



Back to King's Highway 97 Photos     /    King's Highway 98 History    /   On to King's Highway 98A Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!