History of Secondary Highway 529:
Secondary Highway 529 is a minor collector highway serving as an access road along the eastern shores of Georgian Bay. This minor access road originally began at Highway 69 north of Parry Sound and continued east for about 5 km to Bayfield Inlet. The Bayfield Road was officially designated as Highway 529 on May 9, 1956. The route remained the same up until 1961, when a route renumbering took place. That year, a new diversion was completed on Highway 69 between Pointe-au-Baril and the Magnetawan River. The old bypassed route of Highway 69 was renumbered as Highway 529, while the existing route of Highway 529 leading to Bayfield Inlet was renumbered as Highway 529A. As a result of the route renumbering, Highway 529 grew to a length of almost 26 km. The highway was originally gravel-surfaced. The south section of Highway 529 from Highway 69 to Highway 529A was paved in 1961, but the balance of the highway wasn't paved until 1982. The route of Highway 529 has not changed since the route renumbering took place in 1961. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 529 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on Highway 529, other than at the north Highway 69 Junction near the Magnetawan River.
Learn More About Secondary Highway 529