History of Secondary Highway 537:
Secondary Highway 537 is a local highway that serves as a cut-off route between Highway 17 and Highway 69 southeast of Sudbury. Highway 537 was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan dated May 1956, and was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The new highway was originally 11 miles (18 km) in length. The route began at Highway 69 near Wanup and headed northeasterly to Highway 17 in Wahnapitae. The highway was gravel-surfaced until the mid-1980s, when the entire route was paved.
The entire route of Highway 537 was originally owned by the province, but the northernmost section of the route approaching Wahnapitae was transferred to the Regional Municipality of Sudbury in the late 1990s. The 3.7 km section of Highway 537 from the Highway 17 Junction at Wahnapitae to the now-former Regional Municipality of Sudbury Boundary was transferred to the Region on January 1, 1998. Although this short section of Highway 537 is now under municipal jurisdiction, the entire route of Highway 537 is still signed continuously from the Highway 17 Junction to Highway 69. A short section of Highway 537 was relocated onto a new alignment near Wanup as a result of the construction of the new Highway 69 freeway in 2008-2009. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 537 is 80 km/h (50 mph). Services are available in Wahnapitae.