History of Secondary Highway 572:
Secondary Highway 572 is a local highway in the District of Cochrane that provides a connection between Highway 11 and Highway 101 in the Matheson area. Highway 572 was first designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The route was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in June, 1956. Initially, the new highway had a length of 5.1 miles (8.2 km). The route began at the Highway 11 Junction in Ramore and ended at Gleason Street in Holtyre. The highway was gravel-surfaced at the time of designation in 1956, but a primed bituminous surface was constructed along the entire length of Highway 572 during 1959.
An extension was made to the route of Highway 572 during the 1960s. A Preliminary Assumption Plan was prepared by the DHO on November 19, 1964, which showed the proposed assumption of the existing road from Holtyre to Highway 101. This proposed extension of Highway 572 began at Gleason Street in Holtyre and extended northeasterly for 5.3 miles (8.5 km) to Highway 101. The plan was registered on December 14, 1964 and the extension was formally designated as Highway 572 by an Order-in-Council, effective January 21, 1965. The Highway 572 extension was already paved at the time the route was assumed.
Apart from a few realignments, Highway 572 has remained more or less the same since the 1960s. Highway 572 is paved from the Highway 11 Junction at Ramore to Highway 101. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 572 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway.