History of Secondary Highway 607A:
Secondary Highway 607A is a local highway in the District of Sudbury that provides access from Highway 607 to French River Station. Highway 607A was first depicted on a Preliminary Assumption Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in June 1957, and was designated by an Order-in-Council dated June 20, 1957. The current route of Highway 607A is somewhat different than the route the highway followed when it was first created in 1957. As originally established, Highway 607A began at Highway 607 north of French River Station and connected to Highway 69 near Bigwood. Highway 607A was initially only 1/4 mile (400 metres) in length. In fact, the highway was so short that it is believed that Highway 607A was actually not signed with Highway 607A route markers. Rather, the highway was likely signed with French River Station fingerboard guide signs heading northbound and "TO 69" trailblazer route markers pointing to Highway 69 heading southbound. If the route was actually signed as Highway 607A, it would have been the shortest signed provincial highway in Ontario.
In 1965, a change was made to the route numbering in this area. The Highway 607 and Highway 607A designations were reversed between the Highway 69 Junction and French River Station, so that Highway 607A went to French River Station while Highway 607 connected to Highway 69. The change in route numbers extended Highway 607A to its current length of approximately 1.6 miles (2.6 km). The route of Highway 607A has remained more or less the same ever since. Highway 607A remained gravel-surfaced until the 1980s, when a primed bituminous surface was constructed along the highway. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 607A is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway, but services are available nearby in Bigwood on Highway 69.