History of Secondary Highway 608:
Secondary Highway 608 is a local highway in the District of Thunder Bay that provides access from Highway 61 to South Gillies, located southwest of Thunder Bay. Highway 608 was first depicted on a Preliminary Route Plan prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in May 1956, and was designated by an Order-in-Council dated May 9, 1956. The new highway extended west from Highway 61 along the Scoble Road for approximately 12 miles (19 km) to South Gillies. Highway 608 was originally gravel-surfaced for its entire length, but a primed bituminous surface was constructed along the highway between the Highway 61 Junction and the Highway 597 Junction in 1969-1970. The balance of the highway between the Highway 597 Junction and South Gillies was paved in 1977. The route of Highway 608 has remained more or less unchanged since the route was first established in the 1950s. Unless posted otherwise, the speed limit on Highway 608 is 80 km/h (50 mph). There are no services available on this highway.