Hwy 427 Hwy 427 Hwy 427   

Back to Hwy 427 Photo Index      On to Hwy 427 Historical Photos (1960-1969)

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 427 (Formerly King's Highway 27) dating from 1940 to 1959. The freeway section of Highway 27 within Toronto was renumbered as Highway 427 in 1972. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 1: Historical King's Highway 427 Photographs (1940-1959)


QEW #103

Above - Cloverleaf interchange construction at the Queen Elizabeth Way & Hwy 27, facing east towards Toronto (1940)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-3 Photo #3262S)

This photograph shows the area around the Hwy 27 (now Hwy 427) and Queen Elizabeth Way interchange in 1940. The fields in the lower left corner are now the site of the Sherway Gardens Shopping Centre. Evans Avenue can be seen to the right of the Queen Elizabeth Way, while Queen Street (Queensway) can be seen to the left of the Queen Elizabeth Way. Also, note the construction crew at centre left and upper left removing the old curved pavement of the former Queen Street-to-Middle Road transfer. See an Enlarged Photo here.





QEW #282

Above - Facing west along the Queen Elizabeth Way towards Hamilton from the Hwy 27 Cloverleaf in Toronto (1950). See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1950)





HWY 27 #15

Above - Overpass construction at Burnhamthorpe Road and Hwy 27 in Toronto (1953)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1953)





HWY 401 #4             HWY 401 #1438

Left - Aerial photo showing the western end of the Toronto Bypass (Hwy 401) at the Hwy 27 Interchange in 1954. Hwy 401 ended here for several years in the mid-1950s, before it was extended westerly towards Hwy 25 in Milton. The Richview Sideroad (today's Eglinton Avenue) passes across the right corner of this photo.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)

Right - New Mimico Creek arch culvert on the Toronto Bypass (Hwy 401) at the Hwy 27 Interchange (1954)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)





QEW #18             HWY 401 #1437

Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way & Hwy 27 Cloverleaf in Toronto in 1954. Note the reconstruction along Hwy 27 North, which eventually converted the two-lane highway into a freeway. This freeway was redesignated as Hwy 427 in 1972.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)

Right - Interchange construction at the western end of the Toronto Bypass (Hwy 401) at Hwy 27, facing north from the Richview Sideroad Overpass in 1954. This interesting photo shows the extension of the Toronto Bypass to Hwy 27 in the background and the reconstruction of existing Hwy 27 as a four-lane controlled-access freeway in the foreground. The completion and opening of the Hwy 401 & Hwy 27 Interchange in 1955 allowed long-distance through traffic to travel between Hwy 400 and the Queen Elizabeth Way without passing through a single set of traffic signals. Photo taken on October 7, 1954.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)





HWY 27 #14

Above - Aerial view of Hwy 27 facing south from the Hwy 401 Interchange (July 9, 1954)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2, Photo #550)

This great photograph shows the reconstruction of Hwy 27 as a freeway (today's Hwy 427) as it passes through a rural section of Etobicoke before urban sprawl completely devoured the area. The overpasses over Hwy 27 (from foreground to background) are the Toronto Bypass (Hwy 401, still under construction), Richview Sideroad (today's Eglinton Avenue), Rathburn Road, Burnhamthorpe Road, and Bloor Street. Today's Pearson Airport is located just off the photo to the right, and the massive Hwy 401 & Hwy 427 interchange is now located just to the right of the centre of this photo. See an Enlarged Photo Here.





QEW #210

Above - Queen Elizabeth Way at the Hwy 27 Cloverleaf, facing east towards Toronto (July 12, 1956)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)





HWY 401 #77             HWY 401 #78

Left - Aerial view of a traffic jam on Hwy 401 in Toronto, facing west towards the Hwy 27 Interchange. Photo taken on June 17, 1959. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-151-5-26, Box B1106, Photo #ES12-712)

Right - Aerial view of a traffic jam on Hwy 401, facing northeast from the Hwy 27 Interchange in Toronto (June 17, 1959)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-151-5-26, Box B1106, Photo #ES12-711)

The bizarre ramp configuration of the Hwy 27 and Hwy 401 Interchange is clearly visible in this photo. The ramp from eastbound Hwy 401 to northbound Hwy 27 was originally a left-hand exit. This ramp also had a direct merge onto northbound Hwy 27 with no acceleration lane, suggesting that this ramp connection was an afterthought conceived very late in the planning phase after the westbound Hwy 401 structure had been built. Beyond the westbound Hwy 401 structure, a direct taper loop ramp exited from northbound Hwy 27 to westbound Hwy 401. This unorthodox interchange existed up until the early 1970s, when the Hwy 27 Interchange was removed in order to accommodate the new freeway connection to Hwy 427. See an Enlarged Photo Here.





HWY 401 #23

Above - Hwy 401 and Hwy 27 Interchange, facing north along Hwy 27 from the Richview Sideroad Overpass (November 12, 1959)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-2-27, Box B983, Photo #1169C)

This photo provides an interesting view of the Hwy 27 Freeway as it approaches the Hwy 401 Interchange in Toronto. Due to the complex exit ramp configuration at this interchange, a large overhead sign structure was placed above the highway to guide traffic. At the time this sign structure was installed in 1958, it was the largest of its kind in the province. See an Enlarged Photo Here.




Continue on to King's Highway 427 Photos: Historical Photos: 1960 to 1969



Back to Hwy 427 Photo Index      On to Hwy 427 Historical Photos (1960-1969)



Back to King's Highway 420 Photos     /    King's Highway 427 History    /   On to Queen Elizabeth Way Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2017, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!