Hwy 60 Sign Graphic Hwy 60 Title Graphic Hwy 60 Sign Graphic   

Back to Hwy 60 - Whitney to Barry's Bay      Hwy 60 Photo Index      On to Hwy 60 - Hwy 41 to Renfrew

This page contains present day photos (Year 2000 to date) of Ontario's King's Highway 60, arranged by location from Barry's Bay easterly to the Highway 41 Junction north of Eganville. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 5: Present Day King's Highway 60 Photographs (Barry's Bay to Hwy 41 Junction)


HWY 60 #200 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #202 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Eastern entrance to Barry's Bay on Hwy 60, facing west at Old Barry's Bay Road. As the name implies, motorists once had to use the Old Barry's Bay Road prior to the completion of the new Combermere-Barry's Bay Road (now Hwy 62) along the eastern shores of Kaminiskeg Lake during the 1930s. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing east along Hwy 60 towards Killaloe, departing from Barry's Bay. The Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) took over responsibility of the Barry's Bay-Golden Lake Road when it was assumed as a new King's Highway in September, 1937. Initially, the new highway was signed as Hwy 60 only. However, Hwy 60 was signed as an overlapped route (Hwy 60 & Hwy 62) between Barry's Bay and Killaloe from 1960 up until 1998. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #201 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #209 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Distance guide sign on eastbound Hwy 60 departing Barry's Bay. Although Hwy 60 does not reach Ottawa, it is a far more logical control city than the highway's actual eastern terminus in Renfrew. In fact, Ottawa is signed as the destination control city for Hwy 60 even at the highway's western terminus in Huntsville. Eastbound highway distances are also signed to Pembroke at Barry's Bay, as this route was signed as Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 up until the late 1990s. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Autumn colours on Hwy 60, facing west towards Barry's Bay from Wilno. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on October 9, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #20 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #208 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - View of Hwy 60 at Wilno, facing west towards Barry's Bay. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing east along Hwy 60 from Wilno towards Shrine Hill. This photo clearly illustrates the start of the Shrine Hill Diversion, which was built in the early 1960s to carry an improved grade of Hwy 60 across this sharp pinnacle. The original 1937 route of Hwy 60 crests over the top of Shrine Hill straight ahead. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on October 9, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #203 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #204 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of the Shrine Hill Lookout on Hwy 60 east of Wilno. This small roadside park was established in the early 1940s so that motorists on Hwy 60 could pull safely off of the highway to enjoy the spectacular views of Round Lake and Golden Lake. This small park offers parking, a picnic shelter, toilets and a number of picnic tables. The lookout was bypassed in 1963-1964 by a new route of Hwy 60 on an improved alignment. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 11, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - A pair of fingerboard guide signs identify the two lakes visible from the Shrine Hill Lookout. The stone retaining wall which can be seen behind the picnic table runs along the northern side of the lookout's parking area. It is believed that this stone retaining wall was constructed when the DHO first established the roadside park at Shrine Hill in 1940. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 11, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #207 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #205 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - View of Round Lake from the Shrine Hill Lookout on Hwy 60. Sadly, the views from the Shrine Hill Lookout are no longer the sweeping panoramic vistas they once were, due to decades of tree growth in the valley. Since the time I took this photo in the Fall of 2004, the row of trees beside the highway has obscured the view of Round Lake. The grade revision to Hwy 60 (the Shrine Hill Diversion) can be seen in the foreground. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on October 9, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Autumn colours along Old Hwy 60 (Shrine Hill Drive), facing east from the Shrine Hill Roadside Park. Compare this 2004 photo to this historic 1940s postcard view of Hwy 60, which (by sheer coincidence) was taken from exactly the same location decades earlier. I actually acquired the historic photo of Hwy 60 at an antique sale many years after my photo above was taken. Understandably, I was rather intrigued at the similarity of the vantage point that the historical photographer chose to capture their view of Hwy 60. Note the amount of tree growth on Shrine Hill since the 1940s. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on October 9, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #206 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #210 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing east along Hwy 60 towards Killaloe from Shrine Hill Drive. This point marks the eastern end of the Shrine Hill Diversion, where the revised route of Hwy 60 built in the early 1960s ties back into the original 1937 route of Hwy 60 east of Wilno. Golden Lake can be seen in the far distance. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 11, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing west along Hwy 60 from Mill Street (Old Hwy 60) in Killaloe. In the mid-1950s, a substantial highway diversion was built to carry a revised route of Hwy 60 through Killaloe (formerly known as Killaloe Station). The diversion resulted in a shorter and vastly-improved alignment for Hwy 60. The original 1937 highway route crossed the current highway diagonally across the top of the rock cut. It then ran through the present-day site of Killaloe's Ontario Provincial Police Detachment, whose entrance is visible beside the highway at right. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #211 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #213 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Approaching Mill Street (Old Hwy 60) on the Killaloe Diversion. From the time Hwy 60 was first established as a King's Highway in 1937 up until the completion of the Killaloe Diversion in 1955, Hwy 60 passed right through Killaloe Station's village centre. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Western entrance to Killaloe on Mill Street (Old Hwy 60), facing east from the Hwy 60 Junction. The DHO briefly retained ownership of Old Hwy 60 approaching Killaloe, even after the completion of the new bypass in 1955. Jurisdiction over this former route of Hwy 60 was eventually transferred from the province to the Village of Killaloe Station and the Township of Hagarty in March, 1957. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #214 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #212 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Old meets new: The former route of Hwy 60 connects to the Killaloe Diversion (current Hwy 60) west of Killaloe. In a notable departure from a common DHO practice of the 1950s, the old route of Hwy 60 through Killaloe was apparently never signed as a Hwy 60B Business Route. This is likely due to the fact that Killaloe's Main Street was designated as a Secondary Highway (Hwy 521) in 1956, which meant that Killaloe was still served by a provincial highway despite being bypassed. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing east along the Killaloe Diversion (Hwy 60) from Mill Street. This long, gentle curve on the Killaloe Diversion was a significant improvement over the old, winding route of Hwy 60 through Killaloe Station's village centre. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #218 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #222 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing west along Hwy 60 towards Wilno from the Former Hwy 62 North & Hwy 512 Junction at Killaloe. Apart from the two horizontal curves at either end of the Killaloe Diversion, the revised alignment of Hwy 60 around Killaloe is arrow-straight. The Killaloe Diversion was constructed under Contract #1954-77. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Distance guide sign on westbound Hwy 60 departing Killaloe. Westbound highway distances are also signed to Bancroft. Although Bancroft is actually situated on Hwy 62, it should be noted that this portion of Hwy 60 was overlapped with Hwy 62 for many years. The overlapped route of Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 was discontinued once Hwy 62 was decommissioned as a King's Highway north of Maynooth during the mass Ontario highway downloading spree of 1997 and 1998. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #223 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #220 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Destination guide signs on eastbound Hwy 60 approaching the Former Hwy 62 North & Hwy 512 Junction at Killaloe. At this highway junction, the pre-1997 route of Hwy 62 turned left and resumed its route north towards Round Lake Centre and Pembroke. The old overlapped route of Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 extended for 23 km between Barry's Bay and Killaloe. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Junction sign assembly on eastbound Hwy 60 approaching the Former Hwy 62 North & Hwy 512 Junction at Killaloe. Following the transfer of the north leg of Hwy 62 from the province to Renfrew County in 1997-1998, Hwy 62 was renamed as Renfrew County Road 58. The road to the right (Renfrew County Road 512) was also a provincial highway up until 1998. Renfrew County retained the route number of Hwy 512 rather than select a different number. Hwy 512 begins at this highway junction and extends in a general southeasterly direction towards Eganville via Brudenell and Foymount. The Killaloe Junction is marked by an overhead flashing intersection warning beacon. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #221 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #219 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Green guide signs marking Round Lake Road (Renfrew County Road 58) and Queen Street (Renfrew County Road 512) on eastbound Hwy 60 in Killaloe. Curiously, all four legs at the crossroads have been part of Hwy 60 at one time or another. Prior to the completion of the Killaloe Diversion in 1955, Hwy 60 followed a north-south route in this area via today's Queen Street and Round Lake Road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Destination guide signs and junction sign assembly facing southbound traffic at the Killaloe Junction (Hwy 60, Hwy 62 North & Hwy 512). Eganville is only signed via Hwy 60 East, but it is also possible to reach Eganville by continuing straight ahead via Hwy 512. Although it is not a suitable truck route, Hwy 512 forms a very scenic alternate route to Hwy 60 for those seeking more leisurely travel. The route offered by Hwy 512 to Eganville is about 13 km longer than the route offered by Hwy 60. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #224 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #216 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing south along Queen Street (Hwy 512) towards Killaloe from the Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 Junction. Prior to the completion of the Killaloe Diversion in 1955, this was actually part of the original 1937 route of Hwy 60. Once the bypass opened to traffic, Hwy 60 was shifted onto the new diversion. The north-south portion of Old Hwy 60 was re-designated as a Secondary Highway (Hwy 521, which later became Hwy 512) while the east-west portion of Old Hwy 60 (Mill Street) became a township road. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing north along Former Hwy 62 (now Renfrew County Road 58) from the Hwy 60 & Hwy 512 Junction in Killaloe. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 62 #149 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 62 #150 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing south along Hwy 62 approaching the Hwy 60 & Hwy 512 Junction in Killaloe. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 30, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Junction assembly on southbound Hwy 62 approaching the Hwy 60 & Hwy 512 Junction near Killaloe. Until recently, a single Hwy 62 South marker remained at this junction - a historical reminder that a provincially-maintained Hwy 62 once extended this far north. Today, the province only maintains Hwy 62 south of Maynooth. Jurisdiction over Hwy 62 from Maynooth to Barry's Bay and from Killaloe to Pembroke was transferred from the province to the municipal tier in 1997-1998. As the sign indicates, Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 once shared a concurrent route between Barry's Bay and Killaloe. The overlapped route of Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 was discontinued in 1998. The downloaded north leg of Hwy 62 from Killaloe to Pembroke is now officially known as Renfrew County Road 58. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on June 30, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #215 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #217 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Recently-updated junction sign assembly approaching the Killaloe Junction on Former Hwy 62. The previous sign assembly visible in the 2012 photo above was technically incorrect, as it indicated the historical overlapped route of Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 which hadn't existed since the 1990s. Unfortunately, the new junction sign assembly seen here is also incorrect - Renfrew County Road 58 actually comes to an end at this highway junction and does not turn right concurrently with Hwy 60 as the sign suggests. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Distance guide sign on northbound Hwy 62 (now Renfrew County Road 58) departing Killaloe. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #225 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #227 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Destination guide signs and junction sign assembly at the western terminus of Hwy 512 at the Hwy 60 & Hwy 62 Junction in Killaloe. At this highway junction, Hwy 512 ends and Former Hwy 62 (now Renfrew County Road 58) continues straight ahead. Early motorists on Hwy 60 would also have continued straight ahead for a short distance, before rounding a sharp curve to the east towards Golden Lake. In the mid-1950s, the new Killaloe Diversion bypassed the Village of Killaloe Station and several sharp curves on the original 1937 route of Hwy 60. The diversion resulted in a greatly-improved alignment for Hwy 60 through this area. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing west along the Killaloe Diversion (Hwy 60) towards Queen Street and Round Lake Road (Hwy 512 & Former Hwy 62 North). See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #231 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #226 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Destination guide signs on westbound Hwy 60 approaching the Killaloe Junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing east along Hwy 60 from the Killaloe Junction (Hwy 512 & Former Hwy 62 North) towards Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #228 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #229 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Distance guide sign on eastbound Hwy 60 departing Killaloe. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing west along Hwy 60 at Wildlife Road (Old Hwy 60). This curve marks the eastern end of the Killaloe Diversion, a new route for Hwy 60 built in the 1950s. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #230 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Above - Old Hwy 60 (Wildlife Road) near Killaloe is now essentially just an ATV trail. Although badly frost-heaved and cracked, the old asphalt pavement on this former alignment of Hwy 60 can still be seen. It was constructed back in 1948. Following the completion of the new Killaloe Diversion, this old section of Hwy 60 became redundant and fell into disuse. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 12, 2020  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #199 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #198 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - This abandoned curve on a former alignment of Hwy 60 can be found off of Harrington Road, about 2 km east of Killaloe. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - An abandoned stretch of superelevated asphalt pavement can be found behind a house at Hwy 60 and Mask Road, located about 2 km west of Deacon. The old pavement was bypassed by an improved highway curve during a Hwy 60 reconstruction project carried out between Killaloe and Deacon in 1954-1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #19 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #2 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - An old Hwy 60 alignment at Deacon curves into the woods just beyond the parked car. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along Hwy 60 at the Bonnechere River Bridge at Deacon. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #24 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #25 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing west along Hwy 60 at the Bonnechere River Bridge at Deacon. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Northern side of the Bonnechere River Bridge on Hwy 60. This 15-span steel beam and creosoted timber trestle structure was completed in 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #26 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #27 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Southern side of the Bonnechere River Bridge on Hwy 60 at Deacon. This bridge served as a replacement structure for an older steel truss bridge over the Bonnechere River which collapsed in 1949. A temporary bridge carried Hwy 60 traffic for almost six years before this new bridge was built in 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Close-up of the steel beam and creosoted timber trestle design of the Bonnechere River Bridge on Hwy 60. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #28 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #29 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Site of the old Bonnechere River Bridge on the former Hwy 60 alignment at Deacon. A steel truss bridge at this location failed suddenly in the Fall of 1949, which resulted in a long 12-mile detour for Hwy 60 traffic. A temporary timber trestle bridge was built immediately to restore traffic flow until a more permanent replacement bridge could be designed. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Former Hwy 60 alignment leading up to the removed Bonnechere River Bridge at Deacon. The remains of the old bridge site lie just beyond the trees. Jurisdiction over the old route of Hwy 60 through Deacon was transferred from the province to the Township of North Algoma in May, 1956. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #18 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #172 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - This abandoned Hwy 60 alignment at Deacon is now just a narrow trail. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of the Golden Lake Roadside Park on Hwy 60 at Deacon. This small but very popular roadside park was established in 1940 for the convenience of motorists using Hwy 60. It was one of six new roadside parks built along the King's Highways in DHO's District #10 (Bancroft District) that year. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #173 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #174 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - The Golden Lake Roadside Park at Deacon offers motorists a serene stopping point along Hwy 60, with excellent views of the lake and the Opeongo Mountains lying to the south. Although the Golden Lake Roadside Park is predominantly used as a picnic area today, it was once a DHO-operated roadside campground with free campsites available to motorists on a first-come, first-serve basis. Even firewood was supplied free of charge! As the sign at right indicates, this is now only a day-use park - overnight camping is no longer permitted in the park. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Although it is only about 2 acres in size, the Golden Lake Roadside Park on Hwy 60 packs a great deal into a small space - the park offers parking, a picnic shelter, toilets, a sand beach, several picnic tables and two stone fireplaces. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #175 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #176 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Like many roadside parks built along the King's Highways in the 1940s, the Golden Lake Roadside Park has a pair of large stone fireplaces. It its early days, this roadside park offered free campsites for motorists to use. As automobile tourism reached new and unprecedented heights after World War II, this tiny park became so popular and crowded that it ultimately became a victim of its own success. By 1951, the DHO had to restrict campsite occupancy to one night only and by 1960, overnight camping was prohibited in the park altogether. The Golden Lake Roadside Park still offers day-use facilities and has now been in operation for over 80 years. It is among the oldest roadside parks on the provincial highway system. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of the sand beach at the Golden Lake Roadside Park on Hwy 60. With its impressive waterfront views and scenic location, its little wonder that motorists have enjoyed this beautiful park for generations. Although they lie almost 20 km to the south, the Opeongo Mountains still form an impressive sight along the horizon. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #177 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #178 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Old abandoned flagpole at the Golden Lake Roadside Park on Hwy 60 at Deacon. At one time, all DHO-operated roadside parks which had campground facilities used to have a flagpole such as this one at the campground entrance. It is unlikely that this flagpole has been used since the campground at Golden Lake closed in the late 1950s. To my knowledge, this is the only historical flagpole left standing in any of DHO's roadside parks which had a former campground. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Admittedly, this is a rather abstract photo, but somehow this late afternoon silhouette view of myself standing beside the unmistakable shape of a King's Highway sign near Deacon captured my photographic eye. If you follow thekingshighway.ca's Instagram account, you may have seen this photo before - it's my profile picture. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #179 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #180 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing east along Hwy 60 towards Golden Lake from Deacon. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - View of Hwy 60 about 1 km west of Golden Lake, facing east. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #181 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #182 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Distance guide sign on westbound Hwy 60 departing from Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Approaching the community of Golden Lake on Hwy 60, facing east. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #187 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #186 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing west along Hwy 60 towards Deacon from the Lake Dore Road (Old Hwy 60) Junction in Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Approaching the Lake Dore Road (Old Hwy 60) Junction in Golden Lake, facing east. Historically, the route of Hwy 60 changed rather significantly from this intersection easterly. As originally assumed back in 1937, Hwy 60 turned left at this intersection and followed Lake Dore Road easterly to the Eganville-Pembroke Road (now part of Hwy 41) at Lake Dore. The through highway at this intersection back in 1937 was actually part of Hwy 41, whose route began at this highway junction and curved southeasterly from Golden Lake towards Eganville. During 1947, the eastern leg of Hwy 60 from the Golden Lake area to Lake Dore was decommissioned as a King's Highway. The routes of Hwy 41 and Hwy 60 continued to share a common terminus at this intersection up until 1957, when Hwy 41 was rerouted via the Eganville-Pembroke Road while the old route of Hwy 41 from Golden Lake to the Eganville area was renumbered as Hwy 60. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #185 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #184 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Older fingerboard destination guide signs on Hwy 60 in Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing east along Old Hwy 60 (Lake Dore Road) from the current Hwy 60 Junction in Golden Lake. The old route of Hwy 60 from the Golden Lake area to Lake Dore was decommissioned as a King's Highway in August, 1947. This former provincial highway was subsequently assumed as a Renfrew County Road. Today, Old Hwy 60 is known as Renfrew County Road 30 between Golden Lake and Lake Dore. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #183 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #188 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing west along Hwy 60 approaching Lake Dore Road (Old Hwy 60). This intersection marked the historical northern terminus of Hwy 41 between 1937 and 1957. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing east along Hwy 60 towards Eganville from the Old Hwy 60 Junction (Lake Dore Road) in Golden Lake. Early Ontario motorists would have known this route as Hwy 41, not as Hwy 60. Up until 1957, Hwy 41 ended at Golden Lake rather than Pembroke as it does today. Note the narrow highway right-of-way through the village. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #189 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #190 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Another view of the narrow highway right-of-way along Hwy 60 in Golden Lake, facing east. Highway rights-of-way in Eastern Ontario tend to be quite constrained through towns and villages. Historically, surveyed Ontario road allowances were typically set at a width of one Chain (66 feet). However, many older townsite surveys used even narrower road allowances, as was likely the case here. When the earliest Provincial Highways were being laid out in Eastern Ontario after World War I, highway surveyors discovered to their dismay that the 66-foot surveyed road allowances supposedly available for the proposed highway were absolutely littered with "trespass" field fences and buildings. It quickly became evident to the surveyors that adjacent 19th Century landowners had a propensity to measure their property boundaries in their own favour! See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Facing west along Hwy 60 approaching Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #192 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #191 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing east along Hwy 60 towards Eganville departing from Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - Distance guide sign on eastbound Hwy 60 departing from Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #193 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Above - An older King's Highway 60 route marker at Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #15 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #16 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Abandoned curve on the pre-1947 route of Hwy 60, located about 3 km northeast of Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - This superelevated curve on the abandoned Hwy 60 alignment northeast of Golden Lake is the most dramatic that I have ever seen on an Ontario provincial highway. The banked curve was constructed when the highway was "reshaped" during a reconstruction project which took place in 1946. Lake Dore Road was the former route of Hwy 60 between 1937 and 1947. Unfortunately, this old highway alignment is now closed to traffic. Driving along this section of Hwy 60 in the 1940s certainly would have been an experience! See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #17 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #194 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - A portion of the abandoned Hwy 60 curve northeast of Golden Lake is now a private laneway. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)

NEW Right - 19th-Century log barns along Hwy 60, about 2 km east of Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #197 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #3 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - A newer diversion of Hwy 60 at left bypasses a part of the old highway at right (Duquette Road). See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Facing east along a former alignment of Hwy 60 (Duquette Road), located about 7 km east of Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #196 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #4 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - Facing east along Old Hwy 60 (Duquette Road). This former section of Hwy 60 had a narrow pavement and a winding alignment. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Former Hwy 60 alignment (Duquette Road), facing west towards Golden Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)





HWY 60 #195 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 60 #21 - © Cameron Bevers

NEW Left - The revised alignment of Hwy 60 had improved vertical and horizontal geometry, which permitted faster through traffic. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on September 2, 2012  -  © Cameron Bevers)

Right - Another abandoned Hwy 60 alignment east of Golden Lake near the Hwy 41 Junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photograph taken on August 1, 2004  -  © Cameron Bevers)




Continue on to King's Highway 60 Photos: Hwy 41 to Renfrew



Back to Hwy 60 - Whitney to Barry's Bay      Hwy 60 Photo Index      On to Hwy 60 - Hwy 41 to Renfrew



Back to King's Highway 59 Photos     /    King's Highway 60 History    /   On to King's Highway 61 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!