Hwy 62 Sign Graphic Hwy 62 Title Graphic Hwy 62 Sign Graphic   

Hwy 62 Photo Index      On to Hwy 62 - Bloomfield to Belleville

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 62 dating from 1910 to 1999. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 1: Historical King's Highway 62 Photographs


HWY 14 #3

Above - Circa 1910 postcard view of the original Belleville Bay Bridge on Hwy 14 (now Hwy 62). The structure shown above was completed as a toll bridge in 1890. It was replaced by the Department of Public Highways in stages between 1927 and 1931 with new steel truss spans, a swing span, and a short causeway. This Belleville Bay Swing Bridge was replaced with the current high-level structure (the Norris Whitney Bridge) in 1982. See an Enlarged Photo Here.





HWY 62 #122             HWY 62 #121

Left - New rock fill and culvert construction on the L'Amable Lake Diversion on Hwy 62 south of Bancroft. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on July 25, 1950.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1950)

Right - Circa 1950 postcard view of the old York River Bridge on Hwy 62 in Bancroft. This historic concrete arch structure was built in 1913. The bridge was quite narrow and was difficult for trucks to negotiate, especially at the Hwy 28 Junction which lay at the western end of the bridge. The old arch bridge was replaced by the current Hwy 62 bridge in 1965. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of the Gazette Publishing Company, Picton)





HWY 62 #116

Above - Heavy grading on the L'Amable Lake Diversion on Hwy 62 south of Bancroft. Photo taken on July 25, 1950.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1950)





HWY 14 #6

Above - A Department of Highways' zone striping truck performing line painting operations on Hwy 14 (now Hwy 62) near Mountain View south of Belleville in 1950. Pavement markings were first introduced on Ontario's Highways in 1930. Originally, line paint was only used to mark the highway centreline approaching the crest of hills on asphalt-surfaced highways. This was done to improve highway safety by encouraging motorists to stay in their own traffic lane in places where visibility of oncoming traffic was restricted. No line paint was used on concrete-surfaced highways at first, as it was initially assumed that the centre construction joint between the two concrete slabs provided adequate lane guidance to motorists. The use of line paint became much more prevalent on both concrete and asphalt-surfaced highways by the end of the 1930s. However, line paint was still only warranted for use under certain traffic or geometric conditions. Line paint was introduced on narrow highway pavements, sharp curves, approaching traffic signals and railway crossings, on multi-lane highways and on all heavily-traveled two-lane King's Highways. The introduction of line paint was also helpful to mark safe passing zone opportunities on busy highways, hence why the Department of Highways originally called this maintenance practice "zone painting" or "zone striping". As the King's Highway System became progressively busier after World War II, the painting of highway centrelines just became a standard maintenance practice on all King's Highways. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 26, 1950.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1950)





HWY 62 #28             HWY 62 #29

Left - New rock cut on Hwy 62 between Bancroft and Maynooth, located 3 miles north of Birds Creek. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on October 22, 1952.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1952)

Right - Roadside park on Hwy 62 at Kamaniskeg Lake, 1 mile south of Barry's Bay in 1954. This roadside park was developed by the Department of Highways in 1951. The park provided picnic facilities, fireplaces, a swimming area along with a small campground for use by motorists travelling along Hwy 62. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on August 25, 1954.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1954)





HWY 62 #117

Above - View of L'Amable Lake from Hwy 62, south of Bancroft in 1956. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 62 #120

Above - Circa 1957 postcard view of Hastings Street (Hwy 62) in Downtown Bancroft, facing north from the Hwy 500 Junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of the Canadian Post Card Company, Ltd. Toronto)





HWY 62 #109

Above - Construction of a new diversion on Hwy 62 north of Combermere (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 62 #110             HWY 62 #111

Left - Construction of a new bridge over the Madawaska River in Combermere (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)

Right - Grade revision on Hwy 62 south of Barry's Bay (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 14 #5

Above - Circa 1960 postcard view of the Belleville Bay Bridge on Hwy 14 (now Hwy 62). See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of L.F. Charter)





HWY 62 #119

Above - Final painting of the new Madawaska River Bridge on Hwy 62 in Combermere in 1960. This two-span steel plate girder structure was 285 feet in length and was built at a total construction cost of just over $320,000 (in 1960 Dollars). See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1960)





HWY 62 #118

Above - Reconstruction of Hwy 62 at Blackfish Bay, between Combermere and Barry's Bay. Photo taken in 1961. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1961)





HWY 14 #7

Above - Roadway platform widening and reconstruction of Hwy 14 (now Hwy 62) between Belleville and Foxboro (1963)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1963)





HWY 62 #112             HWY 62 #113

Left - Resurfacing operations on Hwy 62 west of Pembroke (1964)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1964)

Right - Resurfaced section of Hwy 62 north of Bannockburn (1972)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1972)





HWY 62 #114             HWY 62 #115

Left - Widening a rock cut on Hwy 62 south of Bancroft (1974)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1974)

Right - Completed reconstruction of Hwy 62, facing south from the Hwy 28 Junction in Bancroft (1975)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1975)




Continue on to King's Highway 62 Photos: Bloomfield to Belleville



Hwy 62 Photo Index      On to Hwy 62 - Bloomfield to Belleville



Back to King's Highway 61 Photos     /    King's Highway 62 History    /   On to King's Highway 63 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2021, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!