History of King's Highway 128:
King's Highway 128 was a local highway in the District of Kenora that once connected the small community of Redditt to Highway 17 in Kenora. The highway was first established in the mid-1950s as an access road to Redditt, located north of Kenora. A Preliminary Route Plan was prepared by the Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) in June 1955, which showed the proposed King's Highway between Kenora and Redditt. The DHO assumed the road as King's Highway 128 on January 18, 1956. The new highway was 18.5 miles (30 km) in length. The highway remained entirely gravel-surfaced up until 1969, when the section of Highway 128 between Kenora and the Highway 598 Junction was paved. In 1974, some paving work took place between the Highway 659 Junction and Redditt. However, a gravel-surfaced section remained between the Highway 598 Junction and the Highway 659 Junction, which made Highway 128 one of the last King's Highways in Ontario to have gravel-surfaced sections. Since Highway 128 served only a local purpose, it was decided in the early 1970s that the route should be re-designated as a Secondary Highway. Highway 128 was renumbered as Secondary Highway 666, effective August 7, 1974. Given its rather notorious route number, Highway 666 was subsequently renumbered as Highway 658 in 1985.