Hwy 17 Sign Graphic Hwy 17 Title Graphic Hwy 17 Sign Graphic   

Back to Hwy 17 - Historical Photos (1950-1954)      Back to Hwy 17 Photo Index      On to Hwy 17 - Historical Photos (1960-1969)

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's King's Highway 17 dating from 1955 to 1959. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 3: Historical King's Highway 17 Photographs (1955 to 1959)


HWY 17 #1291

NEW Above - Circa 1955 postcard view of the Port Arthur Welcome Arch on Hwy 17 (Memorial Avenue). This early colour postcard shows the original blue-and-white colour scheme of this 1930s-era municipal welcome arch. During the 1960s, the arch was reconstructed in order to accommodate a widened four-lane Hwy 17 below the structure. During reconstruction, the arch was repainted with a new orange-and-white colour scheme and the electric clock above the highway was removed. Note the series of steel outriggers immediately below the sign, which were presumably installed to enable work crews to do maintenance activities on the clock and the neon tube lighting. The steel outriggers were apparently a retrofit, as they were not present in this earlier 1939 Photo of the arch. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Western Smallwares & Stationery Co. Ltd, Winnipeg)





HWY 17 #582

Above - Facing east along Hwy 17 towards Earls Lake from the scenic lookout 4 miles west of Mattawa (ca. 1955)
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection  -  Original photographer unknown)





HWY 17 #1298

NEW Above - Construction of the new Hawkesbury Creek and Canadian National Railway (CNR) Overhead on the Hawkesbury Bypass (Hwy 17). Photo taken on July 26, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1299

NEW Above - Grading operations underway on the Hawkesbury Bypass (Hwy 17). Photo taken on July 26, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1310             HWY 17 #1308

NEW Left - Completed grading on Hwy 17 about 7 miles east of the Steel River Bridge between Terrace Bay and Marathon. Photo taken on September 7, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)

NEW Right - New section of Hwy 17 about 7 miles west of Marathon. Photo taken on September 7, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1297

NEW Above - Grader laying a fresh granular surface on an extension of Hwy 17, 8 miles west of Marathon. Photo taken on September 7, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1304             HWY 17 #1309

NEW Left - Resurfaced section of Hwy 17 approaching Port Arthur (1955)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)

NEW Right - New Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) Fort William District Office on Hwy 17 (Arthur Street) at the Hwy 61 Junction in 1955. The Thunder Bay (Northwestern Regional Office) is now located on James Street. The former DHO Fort William District Office seen here was subsequently re-purposed after the DHO moved out, although the building itself still stands today at 1825 Arthur Street East at the corner of Kingsway. Note the Hwy 17 & Hwy 61 junction sign assembly at right. Photo taken in 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1305

NEW Above - Reconstruction of Hwy 17 near Dryden, showing a roadside diversion for traffic staging (1955)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1306

NEW Above - Grading operations underway on Hwy 17 near Dryden (1955)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1296

NEW Above - Completed grading on Hwy 17 at a new earth cut near Oxdrift, west of Dryden (1955)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1307

NEW Above - Junction of Hwy 17 & Hwy 70 (today's Hwy 71) at Longbow Corners, facing west towards Kenora. Photo taken on September 13, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1311             HWY 17 #1294

NEW Left - Completed rock cut on Hwy 17 near the Little Pic River west of Marathon (1955)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)

NEW Right - Completed mulch paving on Hwy 17 at Montreal River Hill, overlooking Lake Superior. Photo taken on September 20, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1302             HWY 17 #1303

NEW Left - Completed mulch pavement at Montreal River Hill on an extension of Hwy 17, about 75 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie. Photo taken on September 20, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)

NEW Right - Birch Creek Bridge replacement on Hwy 17 near Webbwood, between Espanola and Massey. Photo taken on September 22, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1300

NEW Above - Pier construction at the new Spanish River Bridge on Hwy 17 east of Espanola. Photo taken on September 23, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1319

NEW Above - Pier construction at the new Spanish River Bridge, located about 5 miles east of Espanola. Photo taken on September 23, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1293

NEW Above - Completed Copper Cliff CPR Overhead on Hwy 17 west of Sudbury. Photo taken on September 23, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1295

NEW Above - Completed hot mix paving on Hwy 17 west of North Bay near Beaucage, facing west from Sta. 470+00, Contract #1955-83. Photo taken on September 26, 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1955)





HWY 17 #1316

NEW Above - New corrugated steel culverts on Hwy 17, 3 miles east of Hawkesbury. Photo taken on August 7, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1317

NEW Above - Completed Hawkesbury Creek and CNR Overhead on the Hawkesbury Bypass (Hwy 17). Photo taken on August 7, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1318

NEW Above - Hot mix paving on Hwy 17 through Sturgeon Falls. Photo taken on September 18, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1314             HWY 17 #1323

NEW Left - Hot mix paving on Hwy 17, 17 miles east of Terrace Bay. Photo taken on September 28, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)

NEW Right - New Matawin River Bridge on Hwy 17 at Sunshine, located 12 miles west of Kakabeka Falls. Note the diminutive one lane bridge on Hwy 17 at right. Photo taken on September 30, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1312

NEW Above - Pier construction for the new Little Pic River Bridge on a diversion of Hwy 17, 17 miles west of Marathon. Photo taken on September 28, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1322

NEW Above - Preparation to blast a new rock cut on Hwy 17, 9 miles west of the Hwy 120 Junction (today's Hwy 11) at Shabaqua Corners. Photo taken on October 1, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1324

NEW Above - Reconstruction of Hwy 17 under Contract #1955-95, 8 miles west of Oxdrift. Photo taken on October 2, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1315

NEW Above - Clearing and rock excavation for a new alignment of Hwy 17, 1 1/2 miles east of the Ontario-Manitoba Boundary. Photo taken on October 3, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1325

NEW Above - Construction of a new nine-bay DHO highway maintenance garage on Hwy 17 east of Kenora. Photo taken on October 4, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1326

NEW Above - Temporary Agawa River Bailey Bridge on Hwy 17 in Lake Superior Provincial Park north of Sault Ste. Marie. Photo taken on October 9, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1327

NEW Above - Grading for an extension of Hwy 17 north of Agawa River. Photo taken on October 9, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1320

NEW Above - New rock cut and completed grading approaching the Spanish River Bridge, located about 5 miles east of Espanola. Photo taken on October 11, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1321

NEW Above - Completed Spanish River Bridge on Hwy 17 between Espanola and Nairn Centre. Photo taken on October 11, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #1313

NEW Above - Completed approach to the Nairn Railway Overhead on Hwy 17 between Sudbury and Espanola. Photo taken on October 12, 1956.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1956)





HWY 17 #87

Above - Facing east along Hwy 17 towards the Hwy 29 Junction near Arnprior (ca. 1957)
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection  -  Original photographer unknown)





HWY 17 #61             HWY 17 #217

Left - Oversized loads on Hwy 17 at Deep River in 1957. The trucks are hauling components for the Rolphton Power Plant.
(Photo from Cameron Bevers' historical photograph collection  -  Original photographer unknown)

Right - Wolf River Bridge on Hwy 17 between Dorion and Hurkett in 1957. The original Wolf River Bridge on Hwy 17 was a timber through truss bridge, similar in design to the famous Sioux Narrows Bridge on Hwy 71. The main through truss span was 90 feet (28 metres) in length. The Wolf River Bridge was completed in 1937. Unfortunately, the eastern approach to this bridge was narrow and winding and a new alignment was eventually built which bypassed the wooden bridge entirely. The current Wolf River Bridge was completed in 1959 and the old wooden bridge seen here was subsequently demolished. The approaches to the former Wolf River Bridge can still be found today in the forest just to the north of the current highway. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 25, 1957.
(Photo © Archives of Ontario  -  Series RG-14-162-5-166, Photo #914-57, AO6881)





HWY 17 #549

Above - Construction of the Little Pic River Bridge on Hwy 17 near Marathon. The steel deck truss portion of the bridge was about 50% complete when this photo was taken in September, 1957. Until the permanent bridge was completed in 1958, Hwy 17 traffic used a temporary Bailey Bridge located a short distance upstream of the permanent bridge site.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1957)





HWY 17 #548

Above - Compacting granular base on Hwy 17 near the Agawa River north of Sault Ste. Marie (1958)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)





HWY 17 #546             HWY 17 #547

Left - Roadside park and picnic area on Hwy 17 at Muskrat Lake near Cobden (1958)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1958)

Right - Heavy grading and rock cut on the Cavers Hill Diversion near Rossport (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #550             HWY 17 #551

Left - Construction crew laying hot-mix asphalt on Hwy 17 near White River (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)

Right - Grading operations on a new section of Hwy 17 north of the Agawa River (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #552

Above - Large rock cut and fill on Hwy 17 at Agawa Hill in 1959. The photo above illustrates some of the difficult terrain that was encountered when building the Trans-Canada Highway around the northern and eastern shores of Lake Superior. Grading the Agawa Hill section of Hwy 17 took several years to complete. The path for the new highway was notched out of a nearly vertical rock face. The difference in elevation between the bottom of this rock fill and the top of the rock cut is about 180 feet (55 metres).
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #985             HWY 17 #553

Left - View of Chippewa Falls and the Chippewa River Bridge on Hwy 17, north of Sault Ste. Marie (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)

Right - Aerial view of the completed Michipicoten River Bridge on Hwy 17 south of Wawa in 1959, taken about one year prior to the highway's opening. Compare this 1959 photo to this 1960 photo, which shows the highway after paving operations were completed and the highway was opened to traffic.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #968

Above - Construction of the White Lake Narrows Bridge on Hwy 17 between Marathon and White River in 1959. Note the ferry operating in the background. For a few years in the late 1950s, the Department of Highways operated a ferry service for Hwy 17 traffic across White Lake. Once the new White Lake Narrows Bridge was completed and opened to traffic in 1960, the ferry service was suspended. The two former ferry docks are still visible today along the shores of White Lake. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #975

Above - Aerial view of the Barrett River Bridge construction site on Hwy 17 in Lake Superior Provincial Park (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #544             HWY 17 #545

Left - New Hwy 17 Bridge over the River Aux Sables in Massey (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)

Right - Junction of Hwy 17 and Hwy 129 in Thessalon, facing west (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)





HWY 17 #207

Above - New Winnipeg River Bridge under construction on Hwy 17 west of Kenora (1959)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1959)




Continue on to King's Highway 17 Photos: Historical Photos: 1960-1969



Back to Hwy 17 - Historical Photos (1950-1954)      Back to Hwy 17 Photo Index      On to Hwy 17 - Historical Photos (1960-1969)



Back to King's Highway 16 Photos     /    King's Highway 17 History    /   On to King's Highway 18 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2020, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!