Hwy 46 Sign Graphic Hwy 46 Title Graphic Hwy 46 Sign Graphic   

This page contains historical and present day photos of Ontario's King's Highway 46. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Webmaster (Cameron Bevers), unless specifically noted otherwise. Please note that King's Highway 46 once extended from Highway 7 northeasterly to Coboconk, but the northeastern section of the highway from Bolsover to Coboconk was renumbered as King's Highway 48 in the mid-1970s. For the purposes of organization, all historical photos pertaining to King's Highway 46 are listed on this page regardless of location. Present day photos of the renumbered section of King's Highway 46 between Bolsover and Coboconk are located on both this page as well as the King's Highway 48 Photos Pages. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order, while present day photographs (Year 2000 to date) are arranged by location from south to north. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Historical King's Highway 46 Photographs


HWY 46 #1             HWY 46 #2

Left - New grade and earth cut on Hwy 46, 3 miles south of Woodville. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on September 15, 1948.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1948)

Right - Department of Highways of Ontario (DHO) Port Hope District #7 crews spreading cold-mix mulch asphalt along Hwy 46 south of Lorneville. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken on July 24, 1952.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1952)





HWY 46 #3             HWY 46 #4

Left - Completed grading along Hwy 46 (now part of Hwy 48) west of Kirkfield. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1955.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1955)

Right - Construction of the Balsam Lake Diversion on Hwy 46 (now part of Hwy 48) west of Coboconk, Contract #1964-343. See an Enlarged Photo Here. Photo taken in 1965.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © King's Printer for Ontario, 1965)


Present Day King's Highway 46 Photographs


HWY 46 #5 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - This "recycled" Hwy 28B junction crown sign was used as a North/South arrow tab on a Hwy 46 junction assembly for many years. The white vinyl on this sun-baked west facing sign peeled away over time, revealing the Hwy 28B route marker hidden underneath. At one time, Hwy 28B was a signed Business Route through Downtown Peterborough. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in October 10, 2008  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #46 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #47 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 48 approaching the Hwy 46 Junction at Bolsover. This intersection was extensively reconfigured in the mid-1970s. Today, it looks nothing like its original configuration. Both Hwy 46 and Hwy 48 were downloaded by the province to the County of Victoria in 1997-1998, so neither route is a King's Highway anymore. Victoria County amalgamated into a single-tier municipality (City of Kawartha Lakes) in 2001. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Approaching Bolsover on Hwy 48, facing west from the Hwy 46 Junction. The arrow-straight alignment seen in this photo was a substantial upgrade from the old, meandering route of Hwy 48 that existed prior to the highway's reconstruction in the 1970s. The section of Hwy 48 between Hwy 12 near Gamebridge and Hwy 46 at Bolsover was a relative newcomer to the King's Highway system, having only been established in 1961. By comparison, the intersecting route of Hwy 46 had been under the jurisdiction of the DHO since 1937. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #48 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #49 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 48 towards Kirkfield at the relocated Hwy 46 Junction. Up until 1975, Hwy 46 and Hwy 48 actually intersected in two locations only a few hundred feet apart. The unconventional design of the old intersection complex likely led to a lot of confusion amongst motorists. This view of the relocated intersection shows the realignment of Hwy 48 through the junction. Almost 1 km of Hwy 48 was relocated onto a new alignment as a result of the intersection improvement project. The old Hwy 48 approach to the junction has almost entirely disappeared over time. Even the former eastern leg of the Hwy 46 approach is barely discernible today. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Distance guide sign on westbound Hwy 48 at the Hwy 46 Junction at Bolsover. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #59 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #60 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing north along Hwy 46 approaching the Hwy 48 Junction at Bolsover. As originally established in 1937, Hwy 46 continued straight ahead and intersected with the Portage Road just south of the present day highway junction. At the time, Portage Road from Bolsover westerly was not a provincial highway. At the junction, Hwy 46 then turned right onto the Portage Road and rounded a sharp curve on a steep grade before continuing northeasterly to Kirkfield. In an attempt to improve the intersection sight lines and establish Hwy 46 as the "through highway" at the junction, the DHO built a long curved diversion in 1955 to connect the south leg of Hwy 46 to Woodville with the northeastern leg of Hwy 46 to Kirkfield. The sharp curve on Portage Road (the northeastern approach of Hwy 46) was eliminated and converted to a more conventional T-intersection with the newly-built curved diversion. However, the original 1937 leg of Hwy 46 (the western leg, seen straight ahead in this photo) was also retained and kept open to traffic. This resulted in Hwy 46 branching into two routes at a badly-skewed "Y" junction at this location. Once the Portage Road was also designated as a King's Highway in 1961, this odd intersection design essentially created two different Hwy 46 Junctions along Hwy 48 - one at the original western leg of the highway and another at the newer curved diversion (eastern leg). Careful observers may notice the clearing through the trees at right. This is where the curved diversion of Hwy 46 was built in the mid-1950s. During the highway junction's reconstruction in 1975, the 1955 diversion was abandoned and the old pavement was removed. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Route marker assembly on northbound Hwy 46 approaching the Hwy 48 Junction at Bolsover. When Hwy 46 was first established in 1937, the highway continued northeasterly to Hwy 35 at Coboconk. As a result of the intersection improvements in 1975, Hwy 48 became the through highway at the junction at Bolsover rather than Hwy 46. The Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MTC) logically decided to renumber Hwy 46 from Bolsover to Coboconk as an extension of Hwy 48 in 1975. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #52 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #61 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing south along Hwy 46 from the relocated Hwy 48 Junction at Bolsover. Up until 1975, Hwy 46 & Hwy 48 met at a T-intersection beside where the transport truck trailer is parked at left. Hwy 48 also intersected with the relocated Hwy 46 a few hundred feet to the east. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Destination guide signs along northbound Hwy 46 approaching the Hwy 48 Junction. Prior to 1975, the Hwy 46 & Hwy 48 Junction was located a short distance away from where the transport truck trailer is parked at right. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #50 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #51 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing south along Hwy 46 towards Woodville from the original junction at Portage Road (Hwy 48) at Bolsover. The Hwy 46 Diversion that was built in the mid-1950s tied back into the existing alignment of Hwy 46 roughly where the car is located on the road in the background. The curved diversion of Hwy 46 was about 1 km in length. Considering the amount of work that was put into improving this junction in the mid-1950s, the original intersection of Hwy 46 and Portage Road must have been quite dreadful. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Approaching the relocated Hwy 46 & Hwy 48 Junction at Bolsover, facing north. When this intersection was reconfigured in 1975, two channelized right-turn lanes were built to further expedite traffic flow at the highway junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #62 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #53 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - A short section of pavement was left in place where the former route of Hwy 48 continued east from Hwy 46. The old strip of asphalt now serves as a private driveway. Just beyond the trees in the background, Hwy 48 climbed a steep grade and connected to the Hwy 46 Diversion that was built in 1955. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Approaching the Hwy 46 Junction on Hwy 48, facing west towards Bolsover. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #54 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #55 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Facing east along Hwy 48 towards Kirkfield from the Hwy 46 Junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Distance guide sign on eastbound Hwy 48 at the Hwy 46 Junction at Bolsover. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #58 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #56 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - View of the former location of the Hwy 46 Diversion, as seen from the relocated route Hwy 48. Apart from the curved fence post line, there is little evidence left today that a road ever existed here. Most of the disused pavement at the original junction of Hwy 46 & Hwy 48 junction was removed during the reconstruction in the mid-1970s. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - View of the relocated route of Hwy 48 approaching Bolsover. About 1 km of Hwy 48 was relocated onto an improved alignment in 1975. The now-closed Hwy 46 Diversion can be seen curving away at left, while the relocated Hwy 46 & Hwy 48 Junction can be seen at the bottom of the grade at right. As illustrated in this photo, the significant difference in approach grades between Hwy 46 and Portage Road (later Hwy 48) exacerbated the intersection complex's design challenges. The profile of Hwy 48 had to be lowered by several metres in order to provide improved visibility of the approaching highway junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #57 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Facing east along Hwy 48 towards Kirkfield from the end of the former Hwy 46 Diversion. At one time, it was actually Hwy 46 that continued through towards Kirkfield at the highway junction at Bolsover. In the 1970s, the highway's route number was changed to reflect that Hwy 48 was now the through highway at the junction. See an Enlarged Photo Here.
Photograph taken in September 17, 2017  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #42 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #43 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Old Hwy 46 alignment approaching the former Mitchell Lake Bridge near Kirkfield. The old one-lane bridge spanning the Trent-Severn Waterway was removed from service once a new two-lane structure was completed a short distance to the north during a highway improvement project carried out along Hwy 46 in 1958.
Photograph taken in October 2002  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - Concrete bridge abutments for the old Mitchell Lake Bridge on Hwy 46. The replacement bridge, which was completed in 1958, can be seen at left.
Photograph taken in October 2002  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #41 - © Cameron Bevers             HWY 48 #44 - © Cameron Bevers

Left - Former Hwy 46 alignment north of Balsam Lake (today's Balsam Lake Drive). In the 1960s, a diversion nearly 7 miles in length was constructed for Hwy 46 on a vastly-improved alignment. The old highway had several winding sections around the lake and narrow 10-foot traffic lanes.
Photograph taken in October 2002  -  © Cameron Bevers

Right - A portion of the old alignment of Hwy 46 is now used as an access road within Balsam Lake Provincial Park.
Photograph taken in October 2002  -  © Cameron Bevers





HWY 48 #45 - © Cameron Bevers

Above - Another view of the former Hwy 46 alignment through Balsam Lake Provincial Park. This section of the highway has been closed to through traffic since 1967.
Photograph taken in October 2002  -  © Cameron Bevers





More King's Highway 46 Photographs Coming Soon!


Links to Adjacent King's Highway Photograph Pages:


Back to King's Highway 45 Photos    /     King's Highway 46 History    /     On to King's Highway 47 Photos

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /     Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2024, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!