QEW QEW QEW   

Back to QEW - Historical Photos: 1960-1969      Back to QEW Photo Index      On to QEW - Historical Photos: 1980-1989

This page contains historical photos of Ontario's Queen Elizabeth Way dating from 1970 to 1979. All photographs displayed on this page were taken by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, unless specifically noted otherwise. Historical photographs are arranged in approximate chronological order. Click on any thumbnail to see a larger image!

Please note that all photographs displayed on this website are protected by copyright. These photographs must not be reproduced, published, electronically stored or copied, distributed, or posted onto other websites without my written permission. If you want to use photos from this website, please email me first for permission. Thank-you!

Page 5: Historical Queen Elizabeth Way Photographs (1970 to 1979)


QEW #245

Above - Aerial view of the Stoney Creek Traffic Circle on the Queen Elizabeth Way at Hwy 20 (April 7, 1970)
(Photo © Archives of Ontario - Series RG-14-151-21-10, Photo #12651A)

The Stoney Creek Traffic Circle was once one of the most prominent features on the Queen Elizabeth Way. The gigantic traffic circle was completed in 1938, and provided access between the Queen Elizabeth Way and Hwy 20 (Centennial Parkway). The Stoney Creek Traffic Circle was removed in the mid-1970s, and replaced by a freeway grade separation and interchange. The railway line running across the diameter of the circle was removed at the same time. See an Enlarged Photo here.





QEW #584             QEW #585

NEW Left - New Glover Road Overpass and South Service Road on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Stoney Creek. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in May, 1970.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Facing north across the Glover Road Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in May, 1970.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #589             QEW #590

NEW Left - Approaching Etobicoke Creek and the Evans Avenue Interchange on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Toronto. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on November 25, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Facing west towards the Etobicoke Creek Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on November 25, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #563             QEW #564

NEW Left - Queen Elizabeth Way at the new Seventh Street Interchange near St. Catharines in 1972, facing west. This new interchange was built in 1970 immediately west of the present-day site of the Hwy 406 Interchange. This was one of several interchanges built between Stoney Creek and St. Catharines between 1965 and 1975, in an effort to convert the Queen Elizabeth Way into a fully controlled access freeway. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on April 21, 1972.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Seventh Street Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way near St. Catharines, facing north. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on April 21, 1972.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #583             QEW #582

NEW Left - Approaching the Tufford Road Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Grimsby. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on April 21, 1972.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Facing north across the Tufford Road Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way. Until the late 1960s, an old pedestrian tunnel used to exist at Tufford Road, which passed underneath the Queen Elizabeth Way. In 1969, a contract was awarded to build a new grade separation for Tufford Road across the Queen Elizabeth Way. As part of the construction contract, the old pedestrian tunnel below the Queen Elizabeth Way was sealed off by bricking up the entrances to the tunnel at each end and removing the staircases leading to the tunnel. The remainder of the pedestrian tunnel was abandoned and lies buried below the current highway. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on April 21, 1972.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #263

Above - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way Monument and Canadian National Railway Overpass in Toronto (August 21, 1972)
(Photo courtesy of Archives of Ontario - Series RG-14-151-7-16, Photo #15135B)

This photo shows the Canadian National (CN) Railway Overpass and the Queen Elizabeth Way Monument just prior to the reconstruction and widening of the Queen Elizabeth Way in the early 1970s. The old CN Railway flyover was originally constructed in 1939, but it was demolished during the reconstruction project. Fortunately, the beautiful Queen Elizabeth Way Monument in the highway median was saved and was relocated to a nearby park in 1974. See an Enlarged Photo here.





QEW #580             QEW #579

NEW Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Guelph Line Interchange in 1973. When the interchange at Guelph Line (Formerly Hwy 25) was first built in 1957, it was a full eight-ramp cloverleaf interchange as seen in this Historic 1960 Photo. However, the proximity of the Hwy 25 Cloverleaf to the adjacent exit to Plains Road proved to be a problem, since the exit to Plains Road was a left-hand exit. Traffic entering the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way from Guelph Line heading for Plains Road had a very limited distance to merge across the through lanes in order to exit the freeway. The Toronto-bound direction was even worse, where traffic entering the Queen Elizabeth Way was expected to do an almost impossible merge in order to continue east towards Toronto. In 1964, a contract was awarded to retrofit the interchange, by removing the north half of the cloverleaf and extending Plains Road easterly through to Hwy 25 (Guelph Line). Following reconstruction, Toronto-bound traffic wishing to exit the Queen Elizabeth Way had to continue through to the loop ramp of the cloverleaf in order to access Guelph Line. The interchange configuration seen here remained more or less unmodified up until 2002, when the Guelph Line Interchange was fully rebuilt at a more conventional "Parclo A-4" interchange. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1973.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way between Guelph Line and Brant Street in 1973. The now-removed partial interchange at Plains Road can be seen at right. Note the "park-and-ride" GO Transit bus commuter parking lot on Plains Road, which was first inaugurated in 1970. This was the first facility of its kind constructed along the Queen Elizabeth Way corridor between Burlington and Toronto. Note the absence of an interchange at Brant Street, which wasn't built until 1989-1990. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1973.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #578             QEW #577

NEW Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Freeman Interchange in 1974. This photo shows the fully-directional interchange constructed at the junction of Hwy 403 and the Queen Elizabeth Way. The Freeman Interchange was one of the earliest high-speed freeway-to-freeway interchanges designed in Ontario. The interchange was partially opened to traffic with the completion of the Freeman Diversion on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1958. The interchange was put into full operation when Hwy 403 was opened to traffic between Burlington and Hamilton in December, 1963. The original Freeman Interchange seen here was replaced with a new interchange during an ambitious multi-year construction project which began in 1991. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Old Burlington Interchange at Plains Road in 1974. During construction of the Freeman Diversion and Burlington Skyway Approach in the late 1950s, the Old Burlington Interchange was partially bypassed. This small "trumpet" interchange was originally built in 1936 at the junction of the Middle Road Highway and the New Niagara Falls Highway. In 1958, two of the Old Burlington Interchange ramps were closed off to traffic. The on-ramp from eastbound Plains Road to the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way and the old Toronto-bound loop ramp to westbound Plains Road were closed off to traffic permanently. The remainder of the Old Burlington Interchange was removed in 1984, when a new interchange was built at Plains Road. At the time this photo was taken, this area was still fairly rural. Today, the area around the Plains Road Interchange is home to the busy Mapleview Shopping Centre and the Burlington IKEA store. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #576             QEW #575

NEW Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Hwy 2 Cloverleaf in 1974. In preparation for the Burlington Skyway twinning, this interchange was extensively reconfigured in 1982-1983. A short collector lane system and a partial basketweave were built on the Queen Elizabeth Way approaching the Hwy 2 Interchange in order to provide direct access to the new service road (today's Eastport Drive). To the right of the Hwy 2 Interchange, traces of an old concrete highway can be seen leading south towards Lakeshore Road. This is a portion of the original 1930s-era Queen Elizabeth Way, which temporarily tied into Hwy 20 (Lakeshore Road) at Burlington Beach before the Burlington Skyway was built. The road was abandoned in 1958 when the Burlington Skyway was completed. This Historic 1940 Photo shows the old section of the highway while it was being used by traffic in the early days of the Queen Elizabeth Way. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Burlington Skyway in 1974. The original Burlington Skyway carried traffic in both directions until a twin skyway was completed in the 1980s. Note the Canadian National (CN) Railway line running across the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge. In preparation for the Burlington Skyway twinning in the 1980s, a new service road network was constructed below the skyway in 1982. In conjunction with this work, the roadway across the lift bridge was widened from two to four lanes, by removing the abandoned CN Railway line from the structure. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #574             QEW #573

NEW Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the southern approach to the Burlington Skyway in 1974. As originally designed in the 1950s, the Burlington Skyway accommodated four lanes of traffic (two lanes per direction). As traffic volumes grew in the 1960s and 1970s, it became clear that additional lanes were required. Construction began on a second bridge beside the original skyway in 1983. Extensive changes were made to the road network around the Burlington Skyway, including the construction of a new service road along the entire south side of the beach strip in 1982 (today's Eastport Drive). See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at Hamilton Beach in 1974. Of particular note here is the abandoned Burlington Skyway Toll Plaza, which can be seen at left. Toll collection on the Burlington Skyway was discontinued in 1973, 15 years after the toll bridge was first opened to traffic. A demolition contract was awarded by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications in late 1973 to remove the toll plaza at this location as well as the old toll plaza at the Garden City Skyway in St. Catharines. This photo shows the abandoned Burlington Skyway Toll Plaza shortly before it was demolished. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #572             QEW #571

NEW Left - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Burlington Street Interchange in 1974. Although the Burlington Street Interchange changed very little during its near 50-year existence, the adjacent interchange at Woodward Avenue (labelled incorrectly on the original photo) underwent major reconstruction during the 1980s, during which time several of the interchange ramps were removed. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Aerial view of the Queen Elizabeth Way at Stoney Creek in 1974. The infamous Stoney Creek Traffic Circle at Hwy 20 provided the main access point from the Queen Elizabeth Way into Stoney Creek. This massive rotary intersection was originally constructed in 1938. It was removed during a highway reconstruction project which began almost immediately after this photo was taken. By the end of 1975, the Stoney Creek Traffic Circle had been replaced by a new grade-separated interchange at Hwy 20 (Centennial Parkway). Note the temporary exit ramp from the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way to Lake Road and South Service Road. This ramp was built during the 1960s, but was ultimately closed as part of the Stoney Creek interchange project in 1975. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in 1974.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #592             QEW #593

NEW Left - Henley Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way, facing east towards the Ontario Street Interchange in St. Catharines, showing the newly-installed truss-bracket illumination system. These new luminaires were installed in 1973, when the historical 1930s-era Elizabeth Regina "ER" luminaires were permanently removed from the Henley Bridge. The old "ER" luminaires were gradually removed from all structures along the Queen Elizabeth Way between 1970 and 2009. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on May 8, 1975.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Spalled concrete on the Henley Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way in St. Catharines. Note the coated electrical cables, which were placed within the concrete of the inside balusters of the Henley Bridge. Interestingly, these electrical cables were never put into use, since the anticipated bridge illumination system on the interior side of the Henley Bridge was never implemented. The inner steel handrails and balusters were removed during a bridge rehabilitation project in 1988. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on May 8, 1975.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #567             QEW #568

NEW Left - Approaching the Mountainview Road Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Beamsville in 1975, facing west towards Grimsby. This photo shows the new overpass and service road system that was built in the early 1970s to control access along the Queen Elizabeth Way. Prior to the construction of the service road system, private driveways and minor township roads intersected the Queen Elizabeth Way at-grade. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on June 3, 1975.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Mountainview Road Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Beamsville. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on June 3, 1975.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #594             QEW #595

NEW Left - New Bartlett Avenue Interchange on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Grimsby in 1975, facing north. This photo shows the new underpass and interchange ramps built in 1972-1973. The new Bartlett Avenue Interchange replaced the old interchange at nearby Park Road (Grimsby Beach Road). See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on June 3, 1975.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Facing west along the Queen Elizabeth Way towards Grimsby from the new Bartlett Avenue Interchange in 1975. The old Park Road Interchange existed a short distance to the west until the early 1970s. Constructed in 1938, the Park Road Overpass provided access across the Queen Elizabeth Way between nearby Hwy 8 and Grimsby Beach. It was one of the oldest overpasses along the Queen Elizabeth Way. Access to Grimsby Beach from the Queen Elizabeth Way was initially provided via nearby Book Road, although a full diamond interchange was eventually built at Park Road. When the new interchange at Bartlett Avenue was built in 1972-1973, the old Park Road Interchange was closed off permanently and Park Road was truncated on each side of the freeway. Access at Book Road and nearby Baker Road was also closed off as a result of the Bartlett Avenue Interchange construction. The old interchange was back-filled with earth and the highway was rebuilt on top of it. Although parts of the 1938 Park Road structure were removed during the construction project, a large portion of the bridge remains buried under the highway to this day. Compare this 1975 photo of the Bartlett Avenue Interchange with this Historic 1939 Photo of the original Grimsby Beach Road (later Park Road) Overpass, taken from roughly the same location 36 years earlier. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on June 3, 1975.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #317             QEW #318

Left - Lundy's Lane (Hwy 20) Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Niagara Falls (April 18, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Close-up view of the bridge-mounted guide sign for McLeod Road on the Hwy 20 Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1977. Presumably, the overlay below McLeod Road covers the street name "Niagara Square Dr", which was also accessible from this exit. This "Exit 1 Mile" sign was replaced with a new sign with Metric measurements shortly after this photo was taken on April 18, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #319             QEW #283

Left - Facing east along Lundy's Lane (Hwy 20) towards Niagara Falls at the Queen Elizabeth Way Underpass (April 18, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Approaching the Glendale Avenue Interchange on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Niagara Falls in 1977. Note the fluorescent tube highway luminaires that were installed on this section of the QEW when it was rebuilt in the early 1960s, in conjunction with the Garden City Skyway and Hwy 405 construction. The original fluorescent tube lighting system was replaced with high-pressure sodium (HPS) lenses in the mid-1980s. Photo taken on April 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #284             QEW #285

Left - Close-up view of the bridge-mounted guide signs on the Glendale Avenue Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way. This interchange provided access between the QEW and Hwy 55, a route leading to nearby Niagara-on-the-Lake. The Glendale Avenue Interchange was signed as Hwy 55 until 1997, when the highway was downloaded. However, the provincially-owned section of Hwy 55 actually began 2 km away in Homer, below the Garden City Skyway. Photo taken on April 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Facing north across the Glendale Avenue Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Niagara Falls (April 28, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #287             QEW #286

Left - Queen Elizabeth Way and Hwy 405 Interchange near Niagara Falls, facing east (April 28, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Flyover from the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way to Eastbound Hwy 405 near Niagara Falls, facing west (April 28, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #596             QEW #566

NEW Left - Construction of the new Dorval Drive Interchange on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Oakville in 1977. See an Enlarged Photo here.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1978)

NEW Right - Seventh Street Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way near St. Catharines, facing north. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on May 25, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #565

NEW Above - Queen Elizabeth Way approaching the Seventh Street Interchange, facing east towards St. Catharines. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on May 25, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #288             QEW #289

Left - Facing east along the Queen Elizabeth Way approaching the 15 Mile Creek Bridge near St. Catharines (May 27, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Toronto-bound Queen Elizabeth Way structure over 15 Mile Creek west of St. Catharines (May 27, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #328             QEW #329

Left - Facing east across the Toronto-bound 15 Mile Creek Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1977. Note the trees growing in the freeway median on both sides of 15 Mile Creek. Trees such as these were a relatively common sight in the QEW's median up until the 1980s, when they were all cut down during various highway and roadside safety improvement projects. Photo taken on May 27, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Facing west across the Toronto-bound 15 Mile Creek Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1977. The structure on the right carries the North Service Road. Photo taken on May 27, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #330             QEW #331

Left - The 15 Mile Creek Bridge had commemorative "ER" luminaires, similar to those installed on other bridges along the Queen Elizabeth Way. The original 1930s lighting system had already been removed from the bridge by the time this photo was taken on May 27, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Sidewalk on the Toronto-bound 15 Mile Creek Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1977. While it may seem strange to see a sidewalk on a freeway structure, it is important to note that pedestrians were permitted to walk along this section of the Queen Elizabeth Way right up until 1970. It was not until that time that all sideroad and driveway access points were completely removed and the highway was converted into a fully controlled-access freeway facility. Photo taken on May 27, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #332             QEW #333

Left - Southern side of the Toronto-bound 15 Mile Creek Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way in 1977. This interesting steel rigid frame bridge was constructed in 1939. The bridge was demolished during the widening of the Queen Elizabeth Way to six lanes in the early 1990s. Photo taken on May 27, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Northern side of the Toronto-bound 15 Mile Creek Bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way (May 27, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #334             QEW #588

Left - Both the Toronto and Niagara-Bound 15 Mile Creek Bridges are of identical design (May 27, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

NEW Right - Facing south across the Old Burlington Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way at Plains Road in 1977. This partially-abandoned interchange was originally constructed in 1936 as part of the new Middle Road Highway. As a result of the completion of the Freeman Diversion and Burlington Skyway approach in the late 1950s, the northbound loop ramp (at left) was permanently closed to traffic. The eastbound Plains Road ramp to the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way was also closed. This Historic 1947 Photo shows the Old Burlington Interchange before it was reconfigured. A construction contract was awarded in 1983 to build a new interchange at Plains Road & Fairview Street. As a result of this construction work, the 1930s-era ramp and overpass seen here were both removed. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in October, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #586             QEW #587

NEW Left - Old Burlington Interchange and Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way at Plains Road in 1977. Historically, this was the site of the junction between the Middle Road Highway (the Burlington-Toronto leg of the Queen Elizabeth Way) and the New Niagara Falls Highway (the Burlington-Niagara leg of the Queen Elizabeth Way). These two legs of the original Queen Elizabeth Way joined together at a compact trumpet interchange in Burlington, which was constructed in 1936. During construction of the Burlington Skyway, the Old Burlington Interchange was partially bypassed by the new Freeman Diversion. For many years, the Old Burlington Interchange provided access between Plains Road and the Queen Elizabeth Way. The Old Burlington Overpass was demolished in 1984 to make way for a new interchange at Plains Road & Fairview Street. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in October, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Facing north across the Old Burlington Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way at Plains Road in 1977. Between 1958 and 1983, only southbound traffic from Plains Road crossed this structure. The northbound loop ramp (at right) was closed to traffic in the 1950s and the pavement removed. The on-ramp to the Queen Elizabeth Way seen here survived until 1983. The ramp was closed once work got underway on the new interchange at Plains Road & Fairview Street. The Old Burlington Overpass was demolished in 1984. This area looks very different today. The Burlington IKEA store is now located where the red brick farmhouse is in the background. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in October, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #591             QEW #597

NEW Left - Soffit of the Old Burlington Underpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way at Plains Road in 1977. This interesting structure was the very first highway interchange grade separation ever built in Ontario. Completed in 1936, this concrete rigid frame structure featured two identical spans of 27'-8" (roughly 8.4 metres). See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in October, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Shooks Hill Rotary Underpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Mississauga in 1977. Note that the steel beam guide rail median barrier in the background was painted bright yellow. For years, the Department of Highways painted steel beam guide rails along the Queen Elizabeth Way, but the practice was stopped around 1970. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on October 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #335

Above - Facing east along the Queen Elizabeth Way at the Shooks Hill Rotary Interchange in 1977. Traffic travelling southbound from Erin Mills Parkway to Southdown Road passes below the QEW through the underpass in the foreground, while northbound traffic from Southdown Road to Erin Mills Parkway passes across the QEW on the overpass in the background. The British Motorway-inspired Shooks Hill Rotary Interchange was built in 1959. It was the only interchange of its kind ever built in Ontario. The Shooks Hill Rotary Interchange was removed during a multi-year construction project that began in 1998. An aerial photo of the Shooks Hill Rotary Interchange can be seen in this Historic 1961 Photo. The fact that the photographer was able to take this photo from the highway's median in the middle of Mississauga speaks to the comparatively low traffic volumes on the QEW at that time. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on October 28, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #336             QEW #343

Left - Shooks Hill Rotary Underpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Mississauga (October 28, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Appleby Line Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Burlington in 1977. The original Appleby Line structure was completed in 1959. It was removed and replaced with a wider structure when a new interchange was built at this location in 1980. Photo taken on November 8, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #342             QEW #339

Left - Facing south along Guelph Line at the Queen Elizabeth Way Interchange in Burlington (November 15, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Walkers Line Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Burlington (November 26, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #340             QEW #341

Left - Facing south across the Walkers Line Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Burlington (November 26, 1977)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Steel handrail on the Walkers Line Overpass in 1977. Note the ramp configuration in the background. Up until the late 1980s, the interchange ramps at Walkers Line were in a diamond configuration. The interchange was fully rebuilt in a standard "Parclo A-4" interchange in 1986-1987. During the interchange reconstruction project, the original 1959 Walkers Line structure was demolished and replaced with a new bridge. Photo taken on November 26, 1977.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #344             QEW #345

Left - Facing west along the Queen Elizabeth Way towards the Martindale Road Interchange in St. Catharines in 1978. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken on January 23, 1978.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Guide sign marking the ramp to the Niagara-bound Queen Elizabeth Way at the Martindale Road Interchange in St. Catharines (January 23, 1978)
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #569             QEW #570

NEW Left - Hwy 405 Flyover on the Queen Elizabeth Way between Niagara Falls and St. Catharines. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in August, 1979.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)

NEW Right - Facing east across the Hwy 405 Flyover on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Niagara Falls. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in August, 1979.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)





QEW #337             QEW #338

Left - Shooks Hill Rotary Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Mississauga in 1979. Although it isn't clear in this photo, an example of the Ministry of Transportation's earliest series of traffic surveillance cameras can be seen mounted to a pole just to the right of the overpass. This experimental freeway traffic management system was established along the QEW through Mississauga in 1975. This pilot project ultimately led to the development of the MTO's present-day COMPASS freeway traffic management system. Photo taken in August, 1979.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)

Right - Facing north across the Shooks Hill Rotary Overpass in Mississauga in 1979. This overpass was completed in 1959 and was demolished in 2001, during the reconstruction of the Shooks Hill Interchange. Photo taken in August, 1979.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2011)





QEW #581

NEW Above - Dixie Road Overpass on the Queen Elizabeth Way in Mississauga. See an Enlarged Photo here. Photo taken in August, 1979.
(Photo courtesy of Ontario Ministry of Transportation  -  © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2014)




Continue on to Queen Elizabeth Way Historical Photos from 1980-1989



Back to QEW - Historical Photos: 1960-1969      Back to QEW Photo Index      On to QEW - Historical Photos: 1980-1989



Back to King's Highway 427 Photos     /    Queen Elizabeth Way History

Ontario Highway History - Main Menu    /    Back to List of Highways



Website contents, photos & text © 2002-2017, Cameron Bevers (Webmaster) - All Rights Reserved  /  Contact Me



Valid HTML 4.01!   Valid CSS!