History of King's Highway 15:
King's Highway 15 is a major arterial highway serving Eastern Ontario. The highway begins at Highway 401 in Kingston and ends at Highway 7 in Carleton Place. The highway traverses a mostly rural area, although it passes through many small towns along its route. The principal towns located along the highway are Kingston, Seeleys Bay, Smiths Falls and Carleton Place. Highway 15 is a more scenic but slightly longer alternate route to Highway 401 and Highway 416 between Kingston and Ottawa. The highway is one of the most important non-freeway routes in Eastern Ontario.
Highway 15 was first designated as a provincial highway in 1920, although its original route was quite a bit different than the route that we are familiar with today. Originally, Highway 15 ran from Seeleys Bay northeasterly towards Smiths Falls, where it turned northwesterly to Perth. At Perth, the highway resumed its northeasterly route towards Carleton Place and Ottawa. The highway was extended from Seeleys Bay southerly to Kingston in 1921. The route of Highway 15 remained largely unchanged until the late 1950s, when extensive reconstruction took place on Highway 15 between Perth and Stittsville. This section of Highway 15 was selected to be a section of the Trans-Canada Highway, and it was determined that a new alignment would need to be built to bring the highway up to standard. The original highway alignment via Ashton Station Road, Flewellyn Road, and Huntley Road was bypassed by a new straighter alignment in the late 1950s. A bypass was completed around Carleton Place in the late 1950s. The old alignment of Highway 15 through downtown became Highway 15B. In 1961, a major highway renumbering took place that saw Highway 43 extended westerly from Smiths Falls to Perth. The section of Highway 15 from Perth to Carleton Place was renumbered as Highway 7, and Highway 15 was rerouted concurrently with Highway 29 between Smiths Falls and Carleton Place. The highway renumbering resulted in a reduction of Highway 15's length to 173 km, but it did provide a more logical route for the highway. During the 1960s, the Ottawa Queensway was opened. Highway 15 was extended along the Queensway concurrently with Highway 7 from the Richmond Road Interchange to the Greenbank Road Interchange, where the highway ended at Highway 17. The concurrent route of Highway 7/15 between Carleton Place and Ottawa was discontinued in the early 1970s, when Highway 15 was truncated at Carleton Place. In the early 1980s, Highway 15 assumed the route of Highway 29 between Carleton Place and Arnprior.
On April 1, 1996, the southern section of Highway 15 between the Highway 2 Junction and the Highway 401 Junction near Kingston was downloaded. The road was briefly known as Frontenac County Road 15. However, the County of Frontenac was dissolved during 1998, and this portion of the former county became part of the City of Kingston. The road is now technically known as "Kingston Road 15" (Cunningham Drive). The section of Highway 15 lying to the north of Carleton Place was also downloaded on January 1, 1998. The road is now known as Lanark County Road 29, Ottawa Road 29, and Renfrew County Road 59. Highway 15 now begins at Highway 401 in Kingston and ends at Highway 7 in Carleton Place, and is currently 113 km long.
Highway 15 traverses a predominantly rural region of Eastern Ontario. The highway passes through several towns along its route, including Kingston, Smiths Falls and Carleton Place. Services appear quite frequently along Highway 15. Most sections of Highway 15 are two lanes, but some passing lanes have been constructed in places to facilitate the overtaking of slower vehicles using the highway. The speed limit on Highway 15 is 80 km/h (50 mph), unless posted otherwise. Please visit the Highway 15 Mileage Chart page for a list of mileage reference points along Highway 15.
Additional Information About King's Highway 15: